India has announced the names of the new army and air force chiefs and the heads of the spy agencies. Lieutenant General Bipin Rawat will take over as the new chief of the army staff from General Dalbir Singh Suhag. Air Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa will be the new chief of the Indian Air Force.
"Government has decided to appoint Lt Gen Bipin Rawat, vice chief of army staff, as the next chief of army staff with effect from afternoon of December 31," the Defence Ministry said in a tweet.
Anil Dhasmana will be the new chief of the Research and Analysis Wing while Rajiv Jain will head the domestic agency, Intelligence Bureau.
Indian Army: Lt Gen Bipin Rawat
Lt Gen Bipin Rawat was commissioned in to the 11 Gorkha Rifles in December 1978, Rawat has commanded an infantry battalion along the Line of Actual Control. He has vast experience in high-altitude warfare and counter insurgency operations.
- Lt Gen Bipin Rawat joined the Indian Army in Dec 1978
- He was commissioned into 5/11 Gorkha Rifles
- He is second consecutive chief from the Gorkha Rifles
- General Rawat’s father was also a lieutenant general
- Rawat was commanding the Pune-based Southern Command before he was appointed army vice-chief
- Rawat miraculously survived a chopper accident when he was commander in the Dimapur-based Headquarters 3 Corps
- He headed the Indian brigade during the UN peacekeeping operation in Democratic Republic of the Congo in 2008
- He is credited with providing dynamic leadership under the UN banner
- Indian peacekeepers switched approach under his command
Indian Air Force: Air Marshal Bs Dhanoa
Air Marshal Bs Dhanoa has vast experience in flying various types of fighter aircraft and is a qualified instructor. He commanded a fighter squadron during the Kargil Operations and flew numerous night strike missions in the mountainous terrain.
- Air Marshal BS Dhanoa has joined the IAF as a fighter pilot in June 1978
- His father, SS Dhanoa, was the chief secretary of Punjab
- Dhanoa has seen the action during the Kargil war and was awarded Yudh Seva Medal
- He is currently the IAF’S vice-chief and before was heading the South-Western Air Command
- He will be the third Sikh to head the IAF after distinguished military leaders Arjan Singh and Dilbag Singh
Intelligence Bureau: Rajiv Jain
Rajiv Jain, the New IB chief is expected to sharpen focus on coordinating the government’s financial surveillance program after demonetisation.
- Rajiv Jain is a 1980-batch officer, joined the IB in 1989 as assistant director
- Jharkhand-cadre officer Jain, is the senior-most special director with the IB
- He is the domestic intelligence wing’s point-man for other agencies in the government’s demonetisation exercise
- Jain handled assignments as chief of Subsidiary Intelligence Bureau (SIB)
- Headed the Ahmedabad SIB between 2005 and 2008 and later in Delhi from 2008 to 2012
- Jain, is presently serving as the Special Director in the IB and will take over on January 1 after the incumbent Dineshwar Sharma completes his two-year tenure on December 31
- He was advisor to the previous NDA government’s interlocutor on Kashmir K C Pant when talks were held with separatist leaders like Shabbir Shah
Research And Analysis Wing: Anil Kumar Dhasmana
Anil Kumar Dhasmana, joined the RAW in 1993 from his parent cadre Madhya Pradesh and has worked extensively with the external intelligence agency’s Pakistan desk.
- Anil Kumar Dhasmana has joined the R&AW in 1993
- He is known to be a Pakistan expert
- Dhasmana is a 1981-batch IPS officer
(And get your daily news straight to your inbox)
Income disclosure scheme, the last attempt by the government to curb the black money
For popularising Pay digital, NITI Aayog has come out with prizes through lucky dip f
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, is named in the Global Thinkers List of 2016
The cyclone Vardah had that hit the Tamil Nadu capital on Monday evening and had clai
Both the Centre and states failed to a consensus and approve the GST laws and had a
The CBI has arrested the former Indian Air Force chief S P Tyagi, his cousin Sanjeev